Saturday, December 3, 2011

Sunshine and Gardening

It was a beautiful sunny Sunday today and I decided to spend the day recharging my batteries a bit. I had nowhere I needed to go so I spent the day with the dogs for company, pottering in the garden and going for a long walk. The dogs got a bath as welle, which they were not impressed with. Some dogs may like baths, but not mine. You would think we were torturing them or breaking their hearts from the woebegone expressions.

I am very excited about my beautiful vegie and herb garden. That was something I was pleased about when I moved house a few months ago- that I would finally have a big backyard with plenty of space for vegies. Since I first moved out of home, nearly 11 years ago, I haven't had that so it's been a lot of fun. We are already eating strawberries, basil and a few peas and soon we will have lots more peas as well as carrots, parsley, broccoli, cauliflower and snow peas. I'm going to put in another raised bed next weekend and now that the weather is getting warmer I'll put in some tomatoes and a few other things. I'm proud of how well everything has grown for my first attempt, and proud because my garden is fully organic. Nothing but water, sunshine and some organic mix (manure) when I first got the soil ready. I wanted to go organic partly because I was worried about the animals eating slug/snail pellets, and partly because I wanted to see if I could do it without the need for chemicals. I've had a few things nibble on plants, but not enough to be a concern as I've put other measures in place to keep them at (mostly) at bay (wire around the edges, straw, garlic, etc).



Fresh, homegrown strawberries that are still warm from the sun are heavenly.


Someone has been having a little nibble on my basil...

 Peas, cauliflower, carrots, parsley. I'm running out of room so next weekend I think I'll move a few things to the new bed.

 I recycled the old council recycling bin and turned it into a strawberry planter. The wire is to keep the birds from eating all the berries.

Beautiful cauliflower.


 Johnny looking very white and fluffy after his bath today. Let's see how long it lasts!



1 comment:

  1. You should be very proud of your veggie garden! Yum! LookIng forward to getting my basil plant from you....! Thanks! There is nothing better than home grown veggies and herbs.

    ReplyDelete