Thursday, May 2, 2013

Wetlands Walk



It’s the second week of the school holidays here in Tasmania and we’ve had a very busy and fun week with the children so far. We’ve done lots of fun activities at home such as baking Anzacs, making collages, sewing and curling up to watch movies, as well as getting out of the house and the city on a few excursions. On Tuesday we headed to Latrobe to visit Reliquaire, which the children loved, with tasty stops at the chocolate factory and raspberry farm. It was a great day but the drive was not kind to my back at this late stage of my pregnancy and I ended up in a fair amount of pain. Because of this, we changed our plans to drive and walk to Liffey Falls on Thursday and instead opted to drive less than ten minutes from our home to the Tamar Island Wetlands. 



After the crazy weather we had on Wednesday, it was wonderful to have a sunny, blue-sky day, just perfect for our walk.


Harry was in charge of the map and took his role very seriously. He was excited to discover a list of the birds we might see and both children loved standing on the bridges and looking out at the different birds, then finding out their names by looking them up on the map. This purple-necked swamp hen was very busily looking for worms less than a metre away from us.


Once we reached the island we found the picnic area...cold, wet benches in the shade which weren’t very appealing. We kept walking to the end of the boardwalk and found some benches in the sun, just perfect for our picnic lunch and a rest.


I have to blow my own horn for a minute and say that I feel quite proud of myself for staying fit, healthy and active throughout my pregnancy so that I am able to enjoy things like 4km walks even while 36 weeks pregnant. I may have my fair share of aches and pains and find it harder to get around and do everyday things but I’m glad I can still get out of the house and do things with the family. The next photo makes me laugh as Mikayla is almost hidden behind my ever-growing baby bump.


We all had a lovely time and thoroughly enjoyed walking along pointing things out to each other. As Harry said, “There’s just so much to talk about out here!”


In other news, I had a check up with my doctor today and he confirmed that the baby is now fully engaged so will probably be ready to be born within the next two weeks. He is doubtful that I will go to 40 weeks due to the bub's size and position. Bring it on, I say!

1 comment:

  1. Beautifl pics Karen, Yo;re looking radiant, I hope the doctor is right and he does come early!

    ReplyDelete